Amanda-Users

HP C1554A Tapedrive - Tapetypes choice??

2004-01-07 17:52:16
Subject: HP C1554A Tapedrive - Tapetypes choice??
From: Tilmann Haug <tilmann AT wg-netz DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 23:47:56 +0100
Hi Amanda Experts,

I´am new to amanda and get closer to a decend backup solution every day.
I have an HP C1554A DDS3 Tapedrive in my Linux Box.

The device has some jumpers on the underside. The two switches for hardware compression are both set to yes. According to the manual this means "hardware compression - on" and "host control - yes".

So my first question is: can Amanda use with these switch settings already hardware compression? How can i find out?

Second question is about the DDS3 tapes.
To calculate the number of tapes i need to do a dump cycle, I also need to get an idea of how much can be stored on one tape. I found in the faq-o-matiq and the supplied amanda.conf files these two tapetype definitions.
They both seem to work, but which one is the right one for me?

define tapetype DAT3 {
        comment "DAT HP DDS-3 tape drives"
        length 23500 mbytes
        filemark 200 kbytes
        speed 510 kbytes
}

# We use an HP-DAT24 DDS-3 drive here (12GB native capacity),
# here is the tapetype I use for it:

define tapetype HP-DAT24 {
    comment "HP SureStore DAT24"# disabled compression
    length 12288 mbytes         # 12 GB
filemark 0 kbytes # Yes the filemark parameter is correct, # they're integrated into the data on
    speed 1024 kbytes           # DDS-3's.
}

Can anybody give me some advice. I admit that i´am a bit confused about the length settings, the speed and also the filemark options.
So any help is welcome. Thanks in advance!

Best regards
Tilmann from (Stuttgart/Germany)