Amanda-Users

Re: backing up machine over slow line fails every time

2004-01-05 23:36:34
Subject: Re: backing up machine over slow line fails every time
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 23:34:37 -0500
On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 04:25:14AM +0100, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of the machines we backup is on a different network, so I've set it up
> with amanda just like all our local machines, and instead of dump I used
> tar and created a list of the most important files.
>
> Problem is, almost everytime it fails.
>
> A full backup is supposed to take around 3:50 hours to transfer on the 2
> megabit network connection. This is what amstatus says, and it is correct.
> Only after a couple of hours the backups becomes slower and slower, until
> it finally halts completely. Sometimes sooner than other times, but it very
> seldom succeeds (it has happened).
>
> I've run this backup for a while just to see if it would improve, and
> fiddled with the settings over and over, but nothing seems to help.
>
> Any ideas?

This doesn't address any root cause of your problem,
but may be a workaround.

If you are not doing full backups every time, ie, you are
allowing incrementals, consider splitting up the DLE into
multiple DLEs.  The technique has been discussed here
MANY times as a solution to DLEs too large to fit on a
single tape and is described in the amanda docs.

The advantage is that rather than each level 0 being a huge
3.5 hr marathon, you could split that among several (say 4 to 8)
smaller chunks under /usr/local/www/server.  Only one or two
would get level 0's on any one amdump.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)