Amanda-Users

Re: Encrypted network traffic

2003-12-30 09:28:38
Subject: Re: Encrypted network traffic
From: pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com
To: "Henson, George Mr JMLFDC" <George.Henson AT DET.AMEDD.ARMY DOT MIL>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:26:01 -0500
In a message dated: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 08:52:13 EST
"Henson, George Mr JMLFDC" said:

>Is there support to have the network traffic to be encrypted? We have several
>systems we would like to backup over the network, but we have a mandate from
>our management that all the data transfers need to be encrypted.

A perfectly reasonable mandate IMO.

The easy way to add it would be to use sslwrap: http://www.rickk.com/sslwrap/

The nice thing about sslwrap is that it can be layered onto any
existing service without any modification to the services you wish to
encrypt.

The other, probably more complicated, though possibly more secure
method is to tunnel amanda through ssh.

Also, a Google search turned this up:

  http://cns.utoronto.ca/~pkern/stuff/amanda-patch/Readme

I have no idea how well it works.

HTH.
--
Seeya,
Paul

GPG Key fingerprint = 1660 FECC 5D21 D286 F853  E808 BB07 9239 53F1 28EE