Amanda-Users

Giving amanda user permission to access changer device

2003-12-22 13:40:59
Subject: Giving amanda user permission to access changer device
From: Fran Fabrizio <fran AT cis.uab DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:38:24 -0600
I need a sanity check, I must be missing something obvious...

-bash-2.05b$ groups amanda
amanda : amanda disk

Ok, so the 'amanda' user is a member of the 'disk' group

-bash-2.05b$ ls -l /dev/sg1
crw-rw----    1 root     disk      21,   1 Jan 30  2003 /dev/sg1

Ok, the changer I want access to has granted rw access to 'disk' group

-bash-2.05b$ /usr/local/src/mtx-1.2.17rel/loaderinfo -f /dev/sg1
cannot open SCSI device '/dev/sg1' - Permission denied

-bash-2.05b$ /usr/local/sbin/amtape CIS show
amtape: could not get changer info: open: /dev/sg1: Permission denied

Yet I can't access it...

[ at this point I login as root on a separate terminal and grant 666
access to that device]

-bash-2.05b$ /usr/local/src/mtx-1.2.17rel/loaderinfo -f /dev/sg1
Product Type: Medium Changer
Vendor ID: 'QUALSTAR'
Product ID: 'TLS-5433        '
Revision: '221a'
etc...

So even though 'amanda' is a member of the 'disk' group, the device has
'disk' as it's group, and the device has permissions 660, 'amanda' can't
access the device unless I make it world-read/writable.

I'm sure it's something basic, but I'm rusty at this, and daydreaming
about the holidays... :-)

Thanks,
Fran

--