Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda descending into directories?

2003-12-17 11:01:30
Subject: Re: Amanda descending into directories?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Axel Haenssen <axel AT Princeton DOT EDU>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:59:06 -0500
On Wednesday 17 December 2003 09:43, Axel Haenssen wrote:
>Hi Guys,
>I have this file-server that is used by many indisciplined  users
> :-) Frequently they create directories that are bigger than a
> single tape (20Gb) and the nightly backup fails with error:
>[dump larger than tape, skipping incremental]
>Now my question. Can Amanda just descent into those directories and
>backup parts on one tape and other parts on other tapes????
>cheers
>Axel

Amanda can, but you must use tar, not dump, and tell amanda about them
before hand with entries in the disklist.

You can either name each subdir on each line, or I've seen some
examples posted here that used pattern matching to select them.

In that event, you probably will want to extend the dumpcycle,
runspercycle and tapecycle to give amanda time to get a balance
established with the new disklist.  If after a couple of dumpcycles
it then, from the reports you get, indicates it can do with less,
reduce dumpcycle by one day.  Let it 'balance'.  Repeat if
nessessary. :-)

Here, my tapes are pretty small at 4Gb, so I like to try and keep any
one disklist entry well below 1gb because smaller allows amanda to do
better balancing between runs.  My tape fill percentages run in the
middle 90's because I have reduced my tapetype size enough (to
3.57Gb) to leave room for a tar file of all the indices and configs
that actually made that tape, put on the end of the tape after amdump
has completed its nightly run.  By recovering that, I can do a bare
metal recovery equipt with a full set of indexes and configs.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: