Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda not generating email reports

2003-12-05 19:38:41
Subject: Re: Amanda not generating email reports
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: "S. Keel" <sakeel AT u.washington DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 18:36:32 -0600
--On Friday, December 05, 2003 15:50:54 -0800 "S. Keel" <sakeel AT u.washington
DOT edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Frank Smith wrote:
>> Does the vilbu user and group have read permissions on every disk?  Most
>> likely it needs to be in the group sys (or disk, or whatever group owns
>> your disks).  If vilbu is actual user and not a made-up name to run
>> backups under, it will be a mess trying to secure things once the user
>> no longer needs access to the machines (termination, promotion, whatever
>> the event might be).
>
> Yeah, for my install, this is the actual backup user, and belongs to the
> 'disk' group.  Just like when most people create a user 'amanda' I wanted
> to go with a slightly more unique username.
>
>> You might want to set your default tape device to the actual
>> device.
>
> I thought that's what I had done with --with-tapedevice=/dev/nst0

I haven't dug in the code, but I think DEFAULT_TAPE_DEVICE is used
by some of the command-line utilities.  If it's not set you might
need to set it every time.  Or it may just be an unused variable,
I've always set it to be the same as the other tape variable.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Systems Administrator                           Voice: 512-374-4673