Amanda-Users

Re: DL-0101H (DLT8000) on RH7.3

2003-11-18 11:17:50
Subject: Re: DL-0101H (DLT8000) on RH7.3
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:16:37 -0500
On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 12:15:51PM +0100, Ismaël BALLO wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Before using my tape changer, I would like to check the DLT
> but i don't find good results. Is this me or my hardware is not good ?
> How could I find simply that harware works ?
> Here are the file devices
> /dev/sg0 et /dev/sg1
>
> 1st command :
> mtx -f /dev/sg0 status

> 2nd command:
> mtx -f /dev/sg1 status

Do you have one or two tape "changers".

If only one changer, I don't care how many sg, or "scsi generic"
devices you have, you should only expect one of the devices to
be the correct one.  sg0 looks good.

But, be aware that sg0 is NOT your tape drive.  It is the changer
mechanism.  The tape drive is one of your "st" devices.  Generally
amanda will want to work with the "no rewind" version of that
device, so "nstXXX" is the device to use generally, not "stXXX".

To access the tape drive from the command line you use the mt command,
mt for the tape drive device ({n}stXXX),
mtx for the changer device (sgXXX).

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)