Amanda-Users

Re: Closed list

2003-11-17 08:32:32
Subject: Re: Closed list
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Dave Ewart <Dave.Ewart AT cancer.org DOT uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:30:50 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 at 1:11pm, Dave Ewart wrote

> On Monday, 17.11.2003 at 07:30 -0500, Todd Kover wrote:
>
> > Until I can get a better solution in place for filtering out
> > irrelevent mail, both amanda-users and amanda-hackers are now closed
> > for posting to non-subscribers.  At some point, this will change, but
> > it will coincide with some better filtering software.
>
> What are the reasons for not *keeping* them as closed lists?

Don't people ever read archives?  This discussion has happened at least 3
times in the last year.  There are any number of reasons to have an open
list, e.g. access for those on the road out of contact with their usual
(subscribed) address.

Personally, I'm a bit saddened to see the list closed, and look forward to
seeing it open again.  IMHO, the worst problem is not the open list --
it's the fact that the stupid virus scan programs send out any email *at
all*.  With almost all viruses these days forging their headers, there is
absolutely No Point Whatsoever in notifying the From: address that it
"sent out a virus".  You'd think this would be obvious by now.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering