Amanda-Users

Re: amanda installer dups libraries

2003-11-16 20:05:08
Subject: Re: amanda installer dups libraries
From: Stephen Walton <stephen.walton AT csun DOT edu>
To: gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 17:02:26 -0800
On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 20:42, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings everybody;
>
> I just found a bit of a space waster in the way amanda installs its
> libraries...I had a set of identical
> libraries in /usr/local/lib that amounted to around 50 megabytes
> worth.

Well, I have two ways around such:

1.  When I build amanda, since no one else needs her libraries, I use
configure with --prefix=/opt/amanda-${version} so that they all go into
/opt.  Then I update a symlink /opt/amanda -> /opt/amanda-${version} and
test.  Only when I'm happy do I 'rm -rf' the previous version.

2.  For other software I use checkinstall to build an RPM on the fly,
which I can then easily erase/update.  Search at Google for
"checkinstall home page".

--
Stephen Walton <stephen.walton AT csun DOT edu>
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, CSU Northridge