Amanda-Users

Re: backup lasts forever on large fs (fwd)

2003-11-14 14:11:03
Subject: Re: backup lasts forever on large fs (fwd)
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:08:54 -0500
On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 07:15:07PM +0100, Zoltan Kato wrote:

> /home is not NFS mounted and the directories are not transient (they are
> the actual home dirs of individual users). runtar is seduid root. I tryed
> to run the gtar command from the log file manually as root, and found that
> it ONLY works when I run it from /home:
>
> root@rozi$ cd /home/
> root@rozi$ /opt/sfw/bin/gtar --create --file /dev/null --directory /home

    This is NOT related to the problem you are seeing.

However note that the version of gnutar that Sun supplies
to install in /opt/sfw/bin/gtar, or /usr/sfw/bin/gtar in
later releases, is not a suitable version for use with
amanda.  It is only 1.13 and what is needed is 1.13.25.

Get and build it from alpha.gnu.org.

To avoid name confilicts, install it as something like "amgtar".
and recompile amanda to explicitly use the newly installed version.

jon
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)