Amanda-Users

Re: using gnutar and file permissions

2003-11-13 14:24:48
Subject: Re: using gnutar and file permissions
From: "Paul Lussier" <pll AT permabit DOT com>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 14:23:24 -0500
In a message dated: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 14:13:04 EST
Joshua Baker-LePain said:

>On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 at 2:07pm, pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com wrote
>
>> I'd prefer to use tar to perform backups, primarilly for portability
>> of restores.  However, amanda is running as user 'backup' which
>> doesn't seem to have read permissions in many places.
>
>Amanda calls tar via the setuid root 'runtar' wrapper.  So when it runs
>the backups, it can get everything.  If amcheck is complaining, it's
>because selfcheck doesn't run setuid root.

Nope, amcheck runs just fine, but the dump report states that the
backup of that 'drive' FAILED.

I assumed that it was a permissions problem, but since runtar is suid
(which I checked after you mentioned it) then that's not the issue.

I'll have to dig into the *.debug files more. Any ideas what could be
the issue?

Thanks,

--
Seeya,
Paul

GPG Key fingerprint = 1660 FECC 5D21 D286 F853  E808 BB07 9239 53F1 28EE