Amanda-Users

Re: problem when amcheck a host

2003-11-05 18:13:30
Subject: Re: problem when amcheck a host
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: wjeff <wjeff AT ifrance DOT com>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 00:06:26 +0100
wjeff wrote:
Hi,

I have a problem with a client when i execute "amcheck" on the backup
server. In fact, the server says "selfcheck request timed out.  Host
down?" and in the client's amandad log file there is :

amandad: time 0.007: bsd security: remote host backupserver.mydomain
user amanda local user amanda
amandad: time 0.010: amandahosts security check passed
amandad: time 0.010: running service "noop"
amandad: time 0.027: sending REP packet:

I notice the line : "running service "noop"".

That's normal.  The first packet is a hello packet, with
service "coop", whose only purpose is to exchange the OPTIONS.
Older clients don't know about OPTIONS, but do know about
"noop", that's why the first packet executes "noop", and if
the client answers without an OPTIONS line, the server knows
it defaults to a minimal set of features.

The client is AIX 4.3.3 and the backup server runs Linux.

Any ideas ?

You should look a little further in the communication:
service sendsize and its children (runtar or rundump).