Amanda-Users

Re: Amrecover Problem

2003-11-03 11:39:31
Subject: Re: Amrecover Problem
From: Jim Summers <jsummers AT bachman.cs.ou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: 03 Nov 2003 10:37:37 -0600
On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 10:22, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> Jon LaBadie wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 09:43:30AM -0500, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> >
> >>On 3 Nov 2003 at 8:37am, Jim Summers wrote

> >>What does 'ls -l /dev/nst0' say?  And what user and group runs amanda on
> >>the server?
> >

> > amrecover, in my hands, has a "root user" check at startup.
> > Thus, I assume that Jim was running amrecover as root.
> >
> > Does amreocover su to another user before calling amrestore?
> > If not, would local permissions come into play?
> >

> but amrecover talks to amidxtape over the network (even when you restore
> on the server) for reading the tape, and that should be started as
> user amanda on the server.  Verify the (x)inetd configuration.
My xinetd for the indexing is
==================
# default: on
#       unencrypted username/password pairs for authentication.
service amidxtape
{
#       flags           = REUSE
        socket_type     = stream
        wait            = no
        user            = bin
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amidxtaped
        log_on_failure  += USERID
        disable         = no
}
UPDATE:

Tape seems readable.  I ran the following:

amrestore -p /dev/nst0 no-such-host > /dev/null

and it was able to run through the tape showing each image.

Thanks again
--
Jim Summers <jsummers AT cs.ou DOT edu>
University of Oklahoma - Computer Science