Amanda-Users

Re: backup over slow internet line, Broken pipe?

2003-10-27 11:49:35
Subject: Re: backup over slow internet line, Broken pipe?
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Palle Girgensohn <girgen AT pingpong DOT net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:44:17 +0100
Palle Girgensohn wrote:

I get Broken pipe all the time when backing up using tar. The backup client is at a different site, so backup is performed over a 2 Mbit/s line. While the 2Mb line is not top quality, using netstat -i 1 reveals that after a number of hours, almost no backup data is sent at all. Finally, it gives up with a "broken pipe" error. Looks to me that the tar program fails? Any ideas how get this working better? Can I force TCP connections instead of UDP? Anything else I've missed?

It is already using TCP. The UDP packet is only sent from server
to client to initiate the backup and the client replies with
a UDP packet with in it 2 or 3 TCP ports where the server should
connect to: one for the backup, one the error channel and if needed
one for the indexes.

sendbackup: time 0.088: spawning /usr/local/libexec/amanda/runtar in pipeline sendbackup: argument list: gtar --create --file - --directory /usr/local/www/server --one-file-system --listed-inc remental /usr/local/var/amanda/gnutar-lists/myclient.mydomain_usr_local_www_server_0
.new --sparse --ignore-failed
-read --totals --files-from /tmp/amanda/sendbackup._usr_local_www_server.20031023035208.include
sendbackup-gnutar: time 0.090: /usr/local/libexec/amanda/runtar: pid 11408
sendbackup: time 0.094: started index creator: "/usr/local/bin/gtar -tf - 2>/dev/null | sed -e 's/^\.//'"
sendbackup: time 45609.758: index tee cannot write [Broken pipe]

After 45609 seconds (>12 hours), the index stream got broken.

log, serverside:

STRANGE dumper myclient.mydomain /usr/local/www/server 0 [sec 42722.653 kb 4990910 kps 116.8 orig-kb 4990910]

but 2887 seconds earlier the backup was finished.

Why is the index-stream still open?

There were similar messages on this list about a broken index-tee
but nobody ever mentioned a solution.

If it is really the index only, maybe try it without indexing,
to see how this behaves?  If this works, we have a better idea
where to look.

Also don't forget firewall settings... (something times out after maybe
an hour or so?)

--
Paul @ Home