Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda overwrites level 0 dumps?

2003-10-26 15:08:00
Subject: Re: Amanda overwrites level 0 dumps?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 15:05:05 -0500
On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 05:42:53PM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:

> What I expect of Amanda:
>
> * NEVER overwrite a level 0 dump, not even with another level 0.

I.e. NEVER use a tape a second time?

> This means: if I have 6 tapes, Amanda will have to write level 0 every
> FIFTH dump (not every SIXTH) at the latest. Of course, the "planner"
> (scheduler) can promote to level 0 earlier if that's necessary for
> capacity reasons.

It will if YOU configure it correctly.

> One thing I've never understood is: WHY does Amanda need to know the
> dumpcycle in days? If this feature has precedence over the tapecycle, it
> is broken.

I love it when someone, new to a package, can't get it to work even when
hundreds of others are using it, says "it is broken".

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)