Amanda-Users

RE: Samba - which does compress-client-best point to?

2003-10-24 12:31:26
Subject: RE: Samba - which does compress-client-best point to?
From: "Dege, Robert C." <robert.dege AT ngc DOT com>
To: "'Paul Bijnens'" <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 08:55:16 -0700
Thanks for the info Paul (and Jay).

Paul, a few additional questions directed towards your response.

> In my experience the compress best uses 4 times as much CPU for only
> 5% better compression, so it's not worth it, unless you have spare CPU
> cycles to burn.  Maybe it's better to increase the dumpcycle (maybe

Is this 5% difference you're referring to between compress-fast vs.
compress-best?

> Right.  If you think a litter more about this, the amanda server does
> not need to be the computer that runs smbclient.  My amandaserver has
> already his cpu fully loaded, and two other machines do the smbclient
> backups for my window machines, and they do the compression too.

How could I offload the smbclient connections through another machine?  Are
you implying an smbmount on the client, or is there some trick with
smbclient that I'm not thinking of right now?

-Rob