Amanda-Users

NFS mount as second holding disk

2003-10-23 09:40:45
Subject: NFS mount as second holding disk
From: Dan Willis <dannowwillis AT att DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 08:32:31 -0500
Hello. I am still experimenting with my Amanda setup. I have dedicated essentially all of the available disk space on an HP LH3 for my Amanda holding disk (approx 50 gig). However, I still have some partitions to be backed up which exceed the size of the holding disk. I know that an NFS mount would not be the ideal holding disk (I have googled on the subject before posting), but it is not practical for me to add disk space to the LH3 at this time. I can live with a performance hit as long as the backup was reliable.

Has anyone successfully used an NFS mount as a secondary holding disk? Can backups still be run through dump or should they all be tar going this route? Or is this just not advisable at all?

Thanks,
Dan Willis