Amanda-Users

Mixing backups to disk and tape?

2003-10-22 17:02:15
Subject: Mixing backups to disk and tape?
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:55:58 -0500
Since the list has been pretty quiet lately:

Is there a (relatively) easy way of backing up to both disk and
tape from a single config?  I was thinking of using the file driver
to do backups to disk (for faster recoveries) while also using
tapes (for archiving and offsite purposes).

Options I've considered:

Just using the file driver and then dd'ing those to tape later.
But since I couldn't keep as many file 'tapes' around as I would
keep tapes, how would I handle recoveries of older data?  Just
delete the file 'tapes' as needed, and to do a restore, first
dd the tape back to the properly named file?

Using the RAIT driver (does it still exist?) to mirror a backup
between disk and file?  How would a restore work in this case;
would Amanda expect both tape and file to be present?  Could
a changer script handle the two diferent mediums?

Two configs.  It would double the backup window and I"m soaking
some WAN links too long already.

Something else?

My idea is to somehow use the file driver to keep a couple of
dumpcycle's worth of backups on disk, but to also have a
tapecycle's worth of tapes (which is many times dumpcycle).
Anybody tried anything similar?

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Systems Administrator                           Voice: 512-374-4673