Amanda-Users

Re: recommendation needed

2003-10-17 18:52:56
Subject: Re: recommendation needed
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:43:40 -0400
On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 11:30:42PM -0500, Frank Smith wrote:
> --On Wednesday, October 15, 2003 23:53:13 -0400 Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp
> DOT com> wrote:
>
> > I'm working with someone who has a situation reversed from
> > what I am accustomed, a single Solaris system that needs
> > to be backed up to a PC network.
>
> By 'PC', are you implying MS Windows, or are there PC Linux
> hosts on the network?

A follow-up to my original query now that I have more info.

Found out today that the storage to which the client refered is
a "Snap Server" brand of NAS.  It was configured only to do SMB
protocol.  However I quickly got them to add NFS protocol to the
server.  And as usual, an NFS connection worked immediately with
Solaris.  So, now I can mount the storage.

New question.  Has anyone used the file:driver, and possibly
the change-multi script, to implement an disk based backup
system where the storage is accessed through an NFS mount.

I tried some throughput checks today.  Test one was a "cp -r"
of a directory tree with 8.5GB (only a few large files) and
test two was a ufsdump of a 1GB partition.  Both gave between
3 and 3.5MB/sec rates to the NFS device.  That certainly is
higher than the 1MB/sec I get to tape, but quite a bit lower
than the rate to a local disk.

jon
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)