Amanda-Users

Re: more doubts

2003-10-17 03:47:47
Subject: Re: more doubts
From: "Rohit" <rohit AT genetechindia DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:11:53 +0530
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon LaBadie" <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 12:22 PM

> I don't think your assumption is correct.  I think runspercycle
> "ignores" the units part.  So it was thinking you had a total of
> 5 runs per dumpcycle.

I read it somewhere it this mailing list that runspercycle does
compute based on units specified. Also, amadmin balance command
showed "estimated 35 runs per dumpcycle" in the last line when
I had runspercycle as 5 weeks. When I removed 'weeks' from that
line -- then it showed correct value -- 5 runs per dumpcycle.

> No, I think you have a problem there.  A problem that has little,
> if anything, to do with the policies you were using.
>
> I suspect things like:
>
>   - those DLE's are simply too big to ever fit on a single tape,
>     an absolute requirement for amanda to do the initial, and
>     future, level 0's

I checked those DLE's they are not that big. All of them average
around 5 GB in compressed state.

>   - a connection problem to those systems if all DLE's are failing
>     for particular hosts

I don't think I have connection issues here. All the hosts were
accessable (because I could see clients sending estimates in the
log files etc.)

> Time to get deeper into the reports, logs, and in /tmp/amanda, debug
files.

Attached to this email is snippet of amdump log file. Amanda identified
total size of approx 25 GB to be backed up. Whereas by tape could could
only take in approx 19 GB (though it is 12/24 GB tape??) and it had to
drop certain partitions. But why is amanda dropping just those partitions
regularly..I fail to understand and they are not that big as I said before.

I can send you full amdump file if you require.

Thanks again!