Amanda-Users

Re: Computing Dump Cycle: A deeper understanding.

2003-10-03 19:22:26
Subject: Re: Computing Dump Cycle: A deeper understanding.
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 19:17:17 -0400
On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 04:00:16PM -0700, S. Keel wrote:
> I'd like to bouce this off you all to make sure that I'm understanding
> things correctly.
>
> Lets say that my total data to be backed up is 83.5GB, and from some
> initial trial runs, I've achieved at least 50% compression, bringing that
> down to 41.75GB.
>
> I've set my dumpcycle to 1 week, and runs per cycle to 5 so that the
> backup runs only on weekdays (when I'm available to deal with possible
> errors, etc.).
>
> Since my tapes are 20/40GB, given the compression that I'm getting, I
> should only need 3 tapes for the entire dump cycle, correct?  2 tapes to
> handle the dump cycle, and one extra for security.
>
> If I'm understanding how Amanda works, during the course of the dump
> cycle, she performs a full backup of each disk in the disklist.  She uses
> her keen wisdom in determining on which days she does a full backup of a
> particular disk, and on which days she does an incremental; nonetheless,
> by the end of the dump cycle, she will have consumed a total of 41.75GB of
> tape.
>
> Does this all sound right to you?

No, it does not.

What you are missing is that amanda never writes multiple
amdump runs on a single tape.  (well, amflush is different)

What you really need is a MINIMUM, absolute minimum, of
runspercycle + 1 tape.  This is assuming that no single
days run takes more than one tape.  A safer number of
tapes is 2 times runspercycle and maybe +1.

You do not want to be in the situation where one dump
of /xyz might be an incremental and over write your
last full dump of /xyz.  Because unless you have a
full dump of a disk to start with, you can't restore.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)