Amanda-Users

Baremetal win2k restore

2003-10-03 03:39:19
Subject: Baremetal win2k restore
From: Ben Zampatti <ben.zampatti AT infinitem DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: 09 Mar 2003 06:24:16 +0000
Hello, I'm not sure what I'm after can be done, but I'll ask anyway.

I need a way to backup a whole windows 2k server to a linux box. This
is how I was thinking of doing it:

First off, lets say there is a 2k server that has users and all that
setup on it. So start by ghosting it. Then do a fresh backup to the
linux server, including all the files on the filesystem. Some files
don't get copied over though because they are in use, such as
NTUSER.dat. Lets say that every night, the backup server running linux
then copies all files that have been changed on the 2k server to the
backup server, and at the end of every week, msbackup is ran on the 2k
server which does a system state and copies that file to the backup
server. So this goes on for a few weeks.

Then for some reason the 2k server crashes and you lose all your data.
So, the restore process begins - you get your ghosted image, and then
you have it backup to where it was when you first done you ghost. Now
you need to copy all the files across from the backup server
(including the system state) to the 2k server, overwriting everything.
You put the 2k repair disk in which restores from the system state. My
question is, will this work? will all permissions be restored and the
like? If not, is there anything available that will do it, that is
free? or am I expecting too much?

Thanks for the help...