Amanda-Users

Permission denied error from Amanda client, why?

2003-09-29 11:44:13
Subject: Permission denied error from Amanda client, why?
From: "John Grover" <grover AT lakemichigancollege DOT edu>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:35:27 -0400
I am getting an error on one of my client boxes whenever Amanda tries to
back it up. Running amcheck returns the following error:

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
ERROR: <hostname was here>: [could not access /dev/vx/rdsk/var (/var):
Permission denied]
ERROR: <hostname was here>: [could not access /dev/vx/rdsk/rootvol (/):
Permission denied]
Client check: 4 hosts checked in 1.147 seconds, 2 problems found

I've verified that the Amanda user is a member of the sys group, (the
directories are owned by root:sys with rwxr-xr-x permissions). The
client is a SunFire280r running Solaris 8 and Veritas 3.5. Another
identically configured machine does not have a problem. What else can I
check?

Thanks
JG

John W Grover, Systems and Database Administrator
              Lake Michigan College
            www.lakemichigancollege.edu