Amanda-Users

Re: Help with writing to tape

2003-09-25 11:10:26
Subject: Re: Help with writing to tape
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:07:21 -0400
On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 09:46:38AM -0500, chris weisiger wrote:
> I am able to use the following commands for amanda properly:
> amlabel
> amtape
> amcheck
>
> but...i am unable to write to a tape(never used tape backup before, so i
> dont know exactly how to read the log files properly)......i am wanting
> to backup the server that amanda is running on
> so do i need amanda-client rpm installed also...if so i have it installed...
>
> this is the only thing i have in my disklist file
>
> bs1.domain.name /etc comp-root-tar
>
> i added the following to .amandahosts file:
>
> bs1.domain.name amanda
>
> i can telnet to ports 10082 and 10083  but NOT 10080

telnet uses tcp, port 10080 is set up for udp only

> and when i run amcheck DailySet1 this is the output:
>
> Amanda Tape Server Host Check
> -----------------------------
> Holding disk /data: 66999148 KB disk space available, using 66998124 KB
> amcheck-server: slot 3: date 20030924 label DailySet14 (first labelstr
> match)
> NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
> Tape DailySet14 label ok
> NOTE: info dir /usr/adm/amanda/normal/database: does not exist
> NOTE: it will be created on the next run
> NOTE: index dir /usr/adm/amanda/normal/index: does not exist
> Server check took 28.989 seconds
>
> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> --------------------------------
> Client check: 1 host checked in 0.039 seconds, 0 problems found
>
> (brought to you by Amanda 2.4.3)
>
> when i run the following:
>
> su amanda -c "amadmin DailySet1 find bs1"
> bash: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied

You really should fix whatever is wrong in the .bashrc file.
Unlikely to affect anything here however.

> the following is returned: by the way "/data" is the main holding disk
>
> Scanning /data...
>  lost+found: skipping cruft directory, perhaps you should delete it.
>
> No dump to list
>
> So is there anything i overlooked or havent completed yet to write to a
> tape?

What I'd like to know is if you have run an amanda backup yet,
i.e. amdump?  If not, there can't be any backups to find.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)