Amanda-Users

send req failed: Message too long

2003-09-22 10:51:54
Subject: send req failed: Message too long
From: Nicolas Ecarnot <nicolas.ecarnot AT accim DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:50:43 +0200
Hi,

I recently had this kind of problem with my amanda server. It has to backup around 120 samba clients :

GETTING ESTIMATES...
planner: time 0.371: dgram_send_addr: sendto(192.168.10.66.10080) failed: Message too long
send req failed: Message too long

I read a bit of information on the yahoo archive, and found this problem had been worked around with the ctimeout variable. (I guess ? I'm not sure I understood everything).

So I increased this timeout, and this morning, all my samba clients went fine. Cool.

Now, as I'm still testing, I want to relaunch an amanda dump.
I just launch exactly the same config, and this time, I get this bad old 'message too long'.

Is there a standard solution ? I don't mind if my clients waste 5 minutes to answer, but I want to be sure my backups are done.

Should I increase the ctimeout ?

Or is there a way to ask the estimates in a sequential way, in order to avoid too long messages for inetd ?

--
Nicolas Ecarnot