Amanda-Users

Re: disklist file maintenance

2003-09-18 15:59:38
Subject: Re: disklist file maintenance
From: Bruno Negrão <bnegrao-amanda AT engepel.com DOT br>
To: "amanda users" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:56:13 -0300
>Yes, I see that as a valid potential way to go, if only it
>was that simple the script you are suggesting could run in
>advance of the amanda-server startup.
yes, in your crontab file you could add a line like this:
(say the script would be called dlmaintainer)

00 2 * * * (dlmaintainer && su amanda -c "amdump DailySetX")

ps: the syntax above works for redhat linux

>I'd thought there was a more automated way but this should
>work around the issue pretty well.
If there is, i don´t know it...

>You have any experience with comp-tar usage on sgi and solaris
>(vs discussions that I'd seen for linux systems) ?
No I don´t. What I noticed in my redhat linux is that the amanda comp-tar
backup truly uses the tar -cz option to make its backups.
I  proved it when i made a backup using amanda and read the tape contents
without amanda, using the 3 commands bellow:

mt rewind
mt fsf NN
dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32k skip=1 | tar -tvz

So, i believe that if your tar command works well on your system, amanda
comp-tar would work fine also.

Bruno.