Amanda-Users

Amanda on Irix

2003-09-18 11:54:29
Subject: Amanda on Irix
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, Chris Knight <knight AT sodor.wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:51:26 -0400 (EDT)
Hello All,

I'm running amanda on multiple servers, both Solaris and IRIX
(well, SunOS too...) and have client systems of Solaris/SunOs
and IRIX.

On Solaris we run amanda server as "bin", I'd like to migrate
to "amanda" but either way its not root.

On irix we continue to run amanda as root, I don't call why this
began, it predates me but today's work is making me ask a few
questions. I believe at least some of the answers are related to
the way Solaris and IRIX differ in how they handle NFS mounts.

Where ever possible we utilize common disk, NFS mounting the
/usr/local tree (/usr/local/sbin  /usr/local/libexec) from
single platforms for each architecture.

I'm running 2.4.2p2 on SGI, today attempting to upgrade to 2.4.4(p1)
so that I would have the current platform to establish tar based DLE
for some of my larger partitions (see thread: "amanda span tapes").

I had some problems with my build (problem with # install from
# make install but we can skip those, probably fallout from doing
a copy of my Solaris install tree to my irix install tree and not
running # make distclean, though I did run # configure and # make,
seemingly successfully).

On SGI I was unable to get dumper to run correctly, its set suid
root but it wasn't picking up on it from the nfs clients. Also I
had problems with exec format errors, I suspect because the
binaries where built on 6.5.19 and I was running on another server
that was a lower release number 6.5.14. I wouldn't have thought
that downwards compattibility was as large an issue (its only a guess).

I eventually had to set o+rx on the suid programs (yes, I know that
this is _strongly discouraged_ but didn't see a choice).

I'm finally back where I started 2.4.2p2 on SGI. Things seem to be
back to normal. I'm wondering if I compile 2.4.4p1 on an older
release of IRIX and chmod the suid programs...

I could maintain software somewhere other than /usr/local for the
irix systems but that becomes a non-standard installation that I
have to service on all the clients and all the servers.

Has anyone solved these problems on SGI ? I'm can't be breaking
new ground, can I ?

Thanks for any input.

                                                thanks,

                                                Brian

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org