Amanda-Users

Re: "Dump larger than tape" problem

2003-09-17 11:16:52
Subject: Re: "Dump larger than tape" problem
From: "eric a. Farris" <eafarris AT al.umces DOT edu>
To: KEVIN ZEMBOWER <KZEMBOWE AT jhuccp DOT org>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:59:39 -0400
On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 10:41:28AM -0400, KEVIN ZEMBOWER wrote:
> I'm struggling to solve a "dump larger than tape" problem, and not making
> much progress. I'm
> asking for suggestions and troubleshooting techniques.
>
> I'm trying to back up the Samba share admin//db/f$. I've broken it up into
> two sections:
> amanda@admin:~ > amadmin DailySet1 disklist admin //db/f$/
> line 82:
>     host admin:
>         interface default
>     disk //db/f$:
>         program "GNUTAR"
>         exclude file "./inetsrv/webpub/images/"
>         priority 1
>         dumpcycle 3
>         maxdumps 1
>         maxpromoteday 10000
>         strategy STANDARD
>         compress NONE
>         auth BSD
>         kencrypt NO
>         holdingdisk YES
>         record YES
>         index NO
>         skip-incr NO
>         skip-full NO
>
> line 83:
>     host admin:
>         interface default
>     disk //db/f$/inetsrv/webpub/images:
>         program "GNUTAR"
>         priority 1
>         dumpcycle 3
>         maxdumps 1
>         maxpromoteday 10000
>         strategy STANDARD
>         compress NONE
>         auth BSD
>         kencrypt NO
>         holdingdisk YES
>         record YES
>         index NO
>         skip-incr NO
>         skip-full NO
>
> amanda@admin:~ >

< all sorts of good stuff snipped >

> It's like amanda is not taking into account the excluded directories when
> making the size estimate,
> and then giving up on the level 0 backup because it seems too big.

< more snipping >

I have had similar problems, and what i've found is that the smallest
unit that amanda will back up through samba is a *share*, and specifying
individual directories ("disk //server/share/dir1") is fruitless.

Can someone confirm this? Is this a limitation of Samba, or Amanda?

--
eric a. Farris  http://eafarris.al.umces.edu/
Systems Administrator