Amanda-Users

Re: New DLT tape drive on Sun E450- I/O Errors

2003-09-12 11:55:33
Subject: Re: New DLT tape drive on Sun E450- I/O Errors
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: John Grover <grover AT lakemichigancollege DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 11:51:32 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 at 11:34am, John Grover wrote

> I attached a new external DLT to my E450 and rebotted with "boot -r".
> When I enter "mt status" it shows me the DLT, but if I try to write to
> the tape I get an I/O error. What else do I need to do to configure the
> tape drive? This server also has an internal DAT drive.
>
> Here is an example session
>
> bash-2.03# mt status
> Quantum DLT8000 tape drive:
>    sense key(0x13)= EOT   residual= 0   retries= 0
>    file no= 0   block no= 0
> bash-2.03# mt rewind
> /dev/rmt/0n rewind 1 failed: I/O error

I know very little about both Suns and DLTs ("then why are you
responding?!"), but the fact that it thought it was at EOT seems odd to
me.  ISTR Suns needing the right entries in an st.conf file (or some such)
for tape drives -- do you have that?

Also be sure to check all the usual SCSI issues -- cable length,
cable quality, termination, phase of the moon, color of the goat you
sacrificed, etc.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering