Amanda-Users

Re: FATAL syncpipe_put: Broken pipe

2003-09-11 13:44:16
Subject: Re: FATAL syncpipe_put: Broken pipe
From: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:40:13 -0400
On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 12:09:24PM -0400, Kurt Yoder wrote:
> So what would be
> wrong with the dump image? Should I try manually uncompressing that
> image and seeing what's on it?

I doubt you'd learn anything.  As far as taper is concerned, I
believe the image is just an opaque stream of bytes.  If there's
something in the image's content that's killing taper -- and that
seems pretty farfetched! -- it'll be in the compressed byte
stream as it is in the holding disk.

A problem in the uncompressed image would affect the lower-level
restore tool (restore, gtar, etc.), but as far as Amanda itself
is concerned, the only effect I can imagine would be on index
generation, since that depends on the lower-level restorer.  But
indexing shouldn't come into play during amflush.

--

|  | /\
|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics AT telepres DOT com
|  |  /
When I came back around from the dark side, there in front of me would
be the landing area where the crew was, and the Earth, all in the view
of my window. I couldn't help but think that there in front of me was
all of humanity, except me.
        - Michael Collins, Apollo 11 Command Module Pilot