Amanda-Users

Re: Starting a new tape -> per partition

2003-09-06 13:06:12
Subject: Re: Starting a new tape -> per partition
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 12:59:36 -0400
On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 02:48:36AM -0400, Scott Phelps wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a 120 gig server that I need to back up.  I want to do /boot ; / ; and
> /var on one tape, and /home on a second.  I have chg-zd-mtx as my autoloader
> driver.

If you figure out how to tell amanda what to put on what tapes let us know :)

> Here's the question.  If I configured my disklist file like this:
>
> bigserver        /boot              always-full
> bigserver       /                      always-full
> bigserver       /var                 always-full
> bigserver       /home              always-full
>
> When Amanda is done with /boot, /, and /var say there is only 10gig left on
> tape 1.

I think you are under the mistaken impression that amanda will go through
your disklist in sequential fashion, top to bottom.  Maybe it does if you
are not using a holding disk.  But I have never seen this as a documented,
intended, behavior.  Certainly if you are using a holding disk and allow
multiple dumpers, all bets are off as to the order the DLEs are available
for taping.

> Will amanda automatically 'see' the lack of space and autoload a new
> tape before starting on /home?  Or should I create another config directory
> like this:

Amanda tends to try and squeeze a dump on the tape regardless of the amount
of space left.  Then, if the tape runs out, amanda moves to the next tape
and starts the taping all over again.  If that is from the holding disk,
no big deal.  But if you are not using the holding disk, it means the actual
dump of data from the file system must be aborted and restarted.

> /etc/amanda/bgserver-Daily-roots
> /etc/amanda/bgserver=Daily-home
>
> If this is the right idea, I also need to know if I just copy ALL of the
> files
> (except disklists of course) from one directory to the other so that they
> match?  Here's a list of files that would be listed in one of the above
> pseudo-directories.  Which ones need to be copied accross to the other config
> directory?

That might work, but not copies of all files.  Instead links.  You want
both configs to use the same tapelist file for example, not copies that
get changed independently.  And if your amanda.conf file for example,
is truly a copy, administration would be simpler if each config used a
linked conf file.  That way a change in either one would "update" the
other config also.

> Assume I have been only running backups on bgserver-Daily-roots.  These files
> are now already existing in that directory.
> amanda.conf
> mtx-changer-access
> mtx-changer-clean
> mtx-changer.conf
> mtx-changer-barcodes
> mtx-changer-slot
> tapelist
> tapelist.amlabel
> tapelist.yesterday
> disklist
>
> Now say I add a 80 gig home directory to the server.  How should I configure
> Amanda to start a new tape when it gets to this new remote partition?

As I noted above, if you figure out how, let us know.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)