Amanda-Users

amanda tape optimization?

2003-09-05 09:25:21
Subject: amanda tape optimization?
From: JC Simonetti <simonetti AT echo DOT fr>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 15:22:13 +0200
Hi all!
I'm stuck while reading my today Amanda report: 27 Gb backed up today that did
not fit in 40 Gb (2 tapes of 20 Gb)!
Well...
It's normal, since: nearly all data were onto tape 1 (about 7 Gb). Another DLE
tried to go on this tape, but too large (14 Gb). So it took the next tape and
went on it. And the last DLE, that was around 7 Gb, did not fit onto this tape,
and failed (I configured Amanda to use 2 tapes).

This is the current Amanda algorithm, to write on tape as she receives data,
and not to wait for all data to receive in the holding disks and try to
optimize tape filling. But... In my case, is there a way for me to make Amanda
put her 27 Gb of data into 2 tapes and not 3???

Thanks!

Jean-Christian SIMONETTI    email: jean-christian.simonetti AT wanadoo DOT com
SysAdmin Wanadoo Portails   phone: (+33)493004911
Sophia Antipolis, France