Amanda-Users

Re: problem with dumper in amanda 2.4.4

2003-09-04 17:29:09
Subject: Re: problem with dumper in amanda 2.4.4
From: Jay Fenlason <fenlason AT redhat DOT com>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>, abijur AT craft-tech DOT com
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 17:24:23 -0400
On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 04:57:52PM -0400, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 at 4:53pm, Ashwin Bijur wrote
>
> > When I run amanda backups, I am getting the following message in
> > /var/log/messages:
> >
> > kernel: application bug: dumper(23061) has SIGCHLD set to SIG_IGN but
> > calls wait()
> >
> > The backups are taking an unusually long time.  Does this have to do
> > anything with the above message?
> >
> > I am running amanda 2.4.4 on Redhat 9.0.
>
> I'm pretty sure this has to do with the NPTL stuff in the RH9 kernel.  I'm
> no programmer, though, so that's all I can offer...

Bingo!  If you ignore SIGCHLD, wait()'s behavior becomes undefined.
Pre Red Hat Linux 9, wait() mostly (well, except for a few race
conditions) still worked when you ignored SIGCHLD.  With the advent of
NPTL, the behavior of this undefined combination changed, so someone
modified glibc (I think) to flag programs that do that so they can be
fixed.

I'm attaching the patch.

So why're you using 2.4.4 and not 2.4.4p1?  If you're going to the
trouble of compiling something yourself, why not use the latest
version?

                        -- JF