Amanda-Users

Client behind a firewall

2003-08-29 10:24:57
Subject: Client behind a firewall
From: Simon Frettloeh <sifr AT aifb.uni-karlsruhe DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:16:16 +0200 (CEST)
Hi!

I've read in the mailinglist archive, that I've got to recompile amanda
with the option "--with-tcpportrange=X,Y" and
"--with-udpportrange=xxx,yyy" to let the Amanda Backup Server access the
client behind the firewall. Before that I've got to open these ports on my
firewall.

My questions:
- What are the standard/default values, if you omiss these options during
compilitation? Or is instead a random port used?

- Do I really need to use "--with-udpportrange=xxx,yyy", if I only want to
backup the client and don't need a connection from my amanda client to the
index server

- How big has this portrange to be? Are three ports enough or am I able to
use only one? Are there any further restrictions like the portrange has to
be below/above a certain number (I've noticed amanda using 3503 to 3505 to
send the backups).

I'm using 2.4.19 Kernel. Is there a firewall rule to get Amanda working
without recompiling it?

Thnx & Bye,
Simon

--
Simon Frettloeh
Institute AIFB (Applied Computer Science and Formal Description Methods)