Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover performance and exclude list

2003-08-26 10:11:42
Subject: Re: amrecover performance and exclude list
From: "C.Scheeder" <christoph.scheeder AT scheeder DOT de>
To: Pascal Robert <probert AT cesart DOT com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:03:55 +0200
Hi,

youl have to put relative paths in exclude list.
example:
mount-point/dir-to-backup is:   "/var"
file to exclude:                "/var/tmp/example-file"
entry in file:                  "./tmp/example-file"

Christoph

Pascal Robert wrote:

I have two questions for you:

1) any owners of HP SureStore DLT vs80 unit here ? If yes, what kind of performance do you have with amrecover. I did a recover this morning, it took 67 minutes to recover a single 2 bytes file. The backup take 7 minutes so are this unit is really that slow for reading ?

I don't have a such a drive, but I should be much faster.
The 7 minutes, is that the dump time (to disk) or the time to write
to image to tape?
How large was the image? How fast is the tape for writing (see amanda
reports)? What filenumber was it on tape?

                         Total       Full      Daily
                       --------   --------   --------
Estimate Time (hrs:min)    0:02
Run Time (hrs:min)         0:47
Dump Time (hrs:min)        1:00       1:00       0:00
Output Size (meg)        5097.6     5097.6        0.0
Original Size (meg)      7855.1     7855.1        0.0
Avg Compressed Size (%) 64.9 64.9 -- Filesystems Dumped 3 3 0
Avg Dump Rate (k/s)      1439.7     1439.7        --
Tape Time (hrs:min)        0:33       0:33       0:00
Tape Size (meg)          5097.6     5097.6        0.0
Tape Used (%)              13.4       13.4        0.0
Filesystems Taped             3          3          0
Avg Tp Write Rate (k/s)  2597.2     2597.2        --

Is the client a different machine (look for network problems)?
Did you specify "amrecover_do_fsf true" (should be much faster if the
image is near the end of tape).

Tried that, it's not faster.

2) our backups are done with 'dump' so I backup whole filesystems, but I want to exclude some directories (example: /var/log and /usr). I read

Excludes are for gnutar IRC.  (Amanda is only a backup scheduler;
it uses external programs to do the actual backups.  You're limited by
the functionality of those programs. Or does dump on your system allow
excludes?)

Ok, I switched to 'tar' dumps, added this directive to amanda.conf:

exclude list "/var/lib/amanda/.amanda_excludes"

And on each client, I created this file. But even if I put stuff in the exclude list (for example: /var/spool), it's still being backed up. This is my dump type:

define dumptype hard-disk-compress {
global
index yes
program "GNUTAR"
compress client fast
holdingdisk yes
priority high
exclude list "/var/lib/amanda/.amanda_excludes"
}

And a sample from my disklist:

xxxxx.cesart.local   /   hard-disk-compress