Amanda-Users

Re: smbclient eror

2003-08-19 10:51:12
Subject: Re: smbclient eror
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:41:21 -0400
On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 06:02:47AM -0700, Julian C H Stevens wrote:
> I have been using amanda to backup NT shares successfully for some
> time, but recently have had the following problem:
>
> ? invalid mid from server!
> sendbackup: error [/usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient returned 1]
>
> At this point the backup stops and there is nothing written to the
> tape (although the NT share in question is about 13Gb and amanda has
> spent 130 minutes trying to back it up)
>
> Has anyone seen this behaviour before - I can't seem to get any
> information on smbclient return codes.

Have you examined the debug files (generally in /tmp/amanda) on both
the amanda server and on the samba server (they may be the same or
different) for any recorded error messages from smbclient?

The return code, 1 in your case, probably just mean "error of some sort".
Few unix commands make distinctions between different failure modes by
exiting with different status codes for each type of error.  They tend
to depend on error messages and log messages.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)