Amanda-Users

amlabel i/o error

2003-08-18 11:43:18
Subject: amlabel i/o error
From: Pascal Robert <probert AT cesart DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:41:19 -0400
Hello there,

we were doing backups on a hard drive, but now I'm going to use real tapes.

Drive is a HP SureStore DLT1 vs80. AMANDA server (2.4.4p1) is on a RedHat Linux 8 machine (kernel 2.4.18-14).

This is the configuration for the tape unit in amanda.conf:

------------------------------------
runtapes 1 tapedev "/dev/nst0"
tapetype DLT
labelstr "^Cesart[0-9][0-9]*$"

define tapetype DLT {
   comment "DLT HP SureStore"
   length 40960 mb
   speed 3145 kps
}

So I started to run amlabel on my 5 tapes. The first two went ok, but 3, 4 and 5 gave me this error:

amlabel: tape_rewind: rewinding tape: /dev/nst0: Input/output error

But it did create a new label, and 'amcheck' don't throw any errors. What can generate this error ? Thanks.