Amanda-Users

Re: dumpcycle, runspercycle questions

2003-08-14 06:20:23
Subject: Re: dumpcycle, runspercycle questions
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Charles Sprickman <spork AT fasttrackmonkey DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 06:16:01 -0400
On Thursday 14 August 2003 02:34, Charles Sprickman wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Hopefully this is a simple question, as I'm not trying to force
> amanda to do anything unnatural...
>
>I've been going through the docs and the manpage, and I'm not really
>getting the "big picture".  I've got amanda running, and everything
> seems fine (even have the firewall issues worked out), but I'm
> still very confused as to how amanda decides how often to do a
> level 0 and how many incrementals it will do before doing another
> level 0.
>
>For example, right now amanda runs every other day.  So I've got the
>following:
>
>dumpcycle 30
>runspercycle 15
>tapepercycle 24 (this is not a magic number, this is just how many
> AIT tapes I can spare)
>
>So on the first day of that cycle, do I get a full level 0 of all
> hosts? How often in that cycle will I get a level 0?  Considering
> I've got more tapes than runspercycle, what happens when my
> dumpcycle "starts over"? When the tape cycle is done (ie: when I
> reach Daily00 again), what am I then losing?

Any new entry that has not been backed up before will get a level 0.
There must be a 'starting point' :)

With the above settings, you may not see another level 0 for 30 days.
This is a bit long, and can be reduced until hopefully you can have
at least 2 level 0's on hand at any one time with your 24 tapes in
the tapecycle.

I'd immediatley set dumpcycle down to about 10, and run it every
night. That means runspercycle goes down to 10 also.  If you still
haven't used the majority of each tape with your amount of data, then
reduce it by one until it is using 80-85% of a tape every night.
Conversely, if you are hitting EOT, then add a day to both till you
aren't.

>I suppose I'm really lost as far as just what I now have on tape,
> and especially how far in time I can go back with this current
> config.

There is a printed report in the config that you can turn on that will
give you a record that can be filed in a 3 ring binder.  There is
also a teeny little thing you could cut out and stick in the tape
case, but I'd be very spooky of the paper dust getting into a tape
case.  You'll also want to turn on the indexing in your dumptypes
used so that amrecover has access to these.

>I apologize for asking what must be a common question, but I'm
> having a hard time pulling up what I want from the archives...

Its been discussed to death here on this list, primarily because each
users situation is unique, so its mostly expected. :-)

>Thanks,
>
>Charles

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M