Amanda-Users

Re: Files left on holding disk after successful dumps

2003-08-13 11:26:50
Subject: Re: Files left on holding disk after successful dumps
From: Orion Poplawski <orion AT cora.nwra DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:24:15 -0600
Toralf Lund wrote:
I suddenly realised that I have a lot of dump directories on my holding disk, even though dumps have generally been successful. The below "amflush" output should illustrate this.

<snip>

When I say "generally successful", what I mean is that there haven't been any major problems lately, but DLEs will occasionally fail to fit on the current tape. If they do, they are flushed automatically via the "autoflush" option. In any case, closer inspection reveals that the directories don't contain real data; a full listing of the files is included below.

Does anyone know what is causing this? I'm using amanda-2.4.4p1 on Red Hat Linux 9.

-sh-2.05b$ ls -ltr */*
-rw------- 1 amanda disk 0 Jul 9 23:10 20030709/fileserv._usr_freeware_apache.0.tmp

The .tmp files are aborted dumps that didn't get cleaned up. Are you sure amdump is completing fine? Make sure no amanda processes are running an run amcleanup. That might clear things out.