Amanda-Users

Odd Samba problem

2003-08-12 17:58:22
Subject: Odd Samba problem
From: Archie Warnock <warnock AT awcubed DOT com>
To: "Amanda-Users (E-mail)" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:54:43 -0400
I'm configuring amanda for the first time and it's almost working. I'm getting a failure from amcheck on one of the two Samba shares I have set up in my disklist. The only real difference I can see in the setup is that the password (in /etc/amandapass) for the one that fails contains a # character. The password works perfectly if I log in to that share with smbclient - is there something I ought to know about quoting special characters in amandapass?

My disklist contains these:
burgundy /home comp-user-tar
burgundy //pommard/MyDocuments comp-user-tar
burgundy //maranges/PrisDocs comp-user-tar

where burgundy is the SMB server. When I run amcheck, it has no problem accessing the share //maranges/PrisDocs (or with /home on burgundy) but fails on //pommard/MyDocuments. The entries in /etc/amandapass look like this (obviously scrambled to protect real passwords):

//pommard/MyDocuments me%foo#bar
//maranges/PrisDocs metoo%foobar

Note that this command works fine:

smbclient //pommard/MyDocuments foo#bar -U me

I'm guessing that the # sign in foo#bar is being treated as the start of a comment when /etc/amandapass gets read. I sure don't want to change a working password to get a backup, though. What am I missing?

TIA

--
Archie

-- Archie Warnock                       Internet: warnock AT awcubed DOT com
-- A/WWW Enterprises                    http://www.awcubed.com
--       As a matter of fact, I _do_ speak for my employer.