Amanda-Users

Re: little details that don't seem to be happening

2003-08-10 03:55:12
Subject: Re: little details that don't seem to be happening
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 03:48:56 -0400
On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 09:20:18PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> the gaps in my knowledge seem to close slowly sometimes...
>
> Anyway...
>
> 1 - during backup - first tape has filled - apparently ejected (I am
> doing this remotely) but no email from 'chg-manual' which from reading
> the code within, should be coming but hasn't. I do get summaries after
> completion of backup process - is there something I need to do to make
> the request for tape swap email?

I don't know, never used chg-manual

> 2 - I am using a Sony SDT-9000 - which by the way, if anyone is
> interested - results from tapetype...
> define tapetype unknown-tapetype {
>     comment "just produced by tapetype program"
>     length 9675 mbytes
>     filemark 88 kbytes
>     speed 762 kps
> }

You did not follow the tapetype instructions and run it with the
hw compession off.  Your results are without value unless you
run tapetype with no hw compression.

> anyway...I figure it's better to use the hardware compression and forget
> the software compression - Agreed?

I'm interested to know why 'you' figure that way.  You will find
different opinions, but I'd like to know the reason for yours.

> Do I adjust the numbers of the 'length?'
> Does the length of 9675 seem small for a DDS-3 (125 meter / supposedly
> 12/24 Gigabyte or does formatting / filemarks / labels /etc cut 20%?

Adjusting the value of a meaningless number is an exercise in futility.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)