Amanda-Users

Re: Host Question on tape advancment

2003-08-04 15:26:17
Subject: Re: Host Question on tape advancment
From: Jay Lessert <jayl AT accelerant DOT net>
To: "Bruntel, Mitchell L, SOLCM" <mbruntel AT att DOT com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 12:23:04 -0700
On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 12:53:28PM -0500, Bruntel, Mitchell L, SOLCM wrote:
> Here;s the question:
> Should amanda be advancing the tape every time it runs amcheck like this?
> in my changer, tapes 1-30 are amanda labeled tapes
>
> (background I have a 80 slot tape changer.)
> My amcheck Host says:
> Amanda Tape Server Host Check
> -----------------------------
> Holding disk /dump: 8972115 KB disk space available, that's plenty
> amcheck-server: slot 39: tape_rdlabel: tape open: /dev/rmt/1bn: I/O error
> amcheck-server: fatal slot 40: slot 40 move failed
> ERROR: new tape not found in rack
>        (expecting a new tape)

Just like amdump, amcheck will check current slot for an "optimally
writable tape" (based on tapecycle, the content of tapelist, and
what is actually loaded in the changer).

If it doesn't find it in 'slot current', it will roll through the
entire changer looking for it.

In your case, the tape in 'slot current' generated "I/O error".  That
is a really bad sign, probably threw errors in /var/adm/messages, and
is the first thing you should look at.  At best(?), it is a bad tape
that needs to be discarded.  At worst(?), there are cabling and/or
configuration problems and you don't have a reliable R/W channel to
your tape drives yet.

Hmmm.  I notice you say "1-30 are amanda labeled", perhaps chg-scsi is
not clever enough to handle having 81 slots declared in chg-scsi.conf,
but only 30 slots populated, and just blows up on empty slots?  I am
not a chg-scsi user...

--
Jay Lessert                               jay_lessert AT accelerant DOT net
Accelerant Networks Inc.                       (voice)1.503.439.3461