Amanda-Users

Re: amanda tapeless howto

2003-08-03 16:26:18
Subject: Re: amanda tapeless howto
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 22:23:05 +0200
Hi, Andreas,

on 01. August 2003 at 11:31 you wrote to amanda-users:

AN> define tapetype HARD-DISK {
AN>     comment "Hard disk instead of tape"
AN>     length 601 gbytes
AN> }
AN> # This defines a tapetype HARD-DISK with a 'length' of 601GB, the size of
the
AN> # backup array.

This wonŽt work out as you want it. If you want to have a 7 day
dumpcycle with 7 tapes you will have to split up the 601GB between the
tapes. You donŽt have 7 "tapes" with 601 GB each but your config file
says that.

Use something like

length 85 gbytes

which is about 601 gbytes /7 ...

AN> 1.1) Stalling TCP connection on extraction

AN> The above transcript illustrates how amrecover is operated up to the
AN> point where the actual files should be extracted. After issuing the last
AN> 'y', the connection to the backup server stalls and sits there more or
AN> less idley for hours. No files get extracted or transferred.

AN> Solution:   None as of the time of writing.
AN> Workaround: Using amrestore and an NFS export of the client disk (see
AN>             above Installation and Configuration).

check out the debugfiles in /tmp/amanda

AN> 1.2) Index on index server (backup) outdated, displaying old files
AN> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AN> instead of newly backupped ones

Try changing your tapetype definition first, let Amanda do some dumps
and look if the indexes change. Your configuration my lead to some
sort of overwriting and stuff ...

--
best regards,
Stefan