Amanda-Users

amdump: [dump to tape failed, will try again] -> amrestore borking

2003-07-25 08:32:02
Subject: amdump: [dump to tape failed, will try again] -> amrestore borking
From: Andreas Ntaflos <ant AT overclockers DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:29:46 +0200
Hello again,

Still testing amanda for use in a production environment; tapeless
operation seems to be working nicely, except for amdump sometimes.

Backing up a directory /d on host mobilkom to the backup server backup.
Every second run seems to go through smoothly, but for the others the
mailreport afterwards tells me the following:

NOTES:

  driver: mobilkom md0 3 [dump to tape failed, will try again]

  driver: mobilkom md0 3 [dump to tape failed, will try again]

  taper: tape normal02 kb 17184 fm 3 [OK]

/dev/md0 is an array mounted on /d on mobilkom.

When trying to use amrestore on such a `tape' (file:/dump/normal02 for
example) I get an error like this:

[root@backup root]# amrestore -p file:/dump/normal02 mobilkom md0 |
  restore -ivb 2 -f -

amrestore: WARNING: not at start of tape, file numbers will be offset
amrestore:   0: reached end of information
Verify tape and initialize maps
Input is from file/pipe
restore: Tape read error on first record

Or, with `-f 1' for `rewinding':

[root@backup root]# amrestore -f 1 -p file:/dump/normal02 mobilkom md0 |
  restore -ivb 2 -f -

amrestore:   1: reached end of information
Verify tape and initialize maps
Input is from file/pipe
restore: Tape read error on first record

So it seems to me that the backups on such tapes are lost. When the
mailreport does not indicate any errors such as the above NOTES,
amrestore works nicely and I can recover each and every file on that
tape.

Anyone have an idea? The logs (amdump.*, log.date.*) don't give much
more information apart from telling me that the `dump to drive failed'
and it `will try again'. Not of much help. Any pointers where I should
have a look?

Thanks in advance!
--
        Andreas "ant" Ntaflos | "A cynic is a man who knows the price of
        ant AT overclockers DOT at   | everything, and the value of nothing."