Amanda-Users

restore works but hangs...

2003-07-24 07:52:22
Subject: restore works but hangs...
From: Nicolas Ecarnot <nicolas.ecarnot AT accim DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:06:59 +0200
Hi,

This is maybe a small problem you may had so you might help :
When I use restore on a host with the file on this host, there is no problem.

Now, when I use restore across the lan, it still works but never stops :

ssh operator@backupServer 'amrestore -p /dev/nsa0.1 myClient /var '|restore
-tvf -

This command gives me a nice listing, as in the local case, but hangs at the
end. It never returns to shell.
If I try to use that command to actually restore files, it also works, but
again without ending.
A ctrl-c is my only way out.

In the man amrecover, I can read :
-p     Pipe  output.   [...]
Note: restore may report "short read" errors when reading from a
pipe.  Most versions of restore support a blocking factor option
to  let you set the read block size, and you should set it to 2.
See the example below.

Ok, I don't know what a 'blocking factor' is.
Under FreeBSD or OpenBSD, the only option I have for restore is the -b (for
blocksize), and I can't use 2 for that. I tried with 32k, but no change.

I guess I have to try the same operation under linux to see what's happening.

--
Nicolas Ecarnot