Amanda-Users

Re: Estimate tieouts

2003-07-24 03:26:08
Subject: Re: Estimate tieouts
From: "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee>
To: Jason Edgecombe <jedgecombe AT carolina.rr DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:23:45 +0300
Date:          Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:04:10 -0400
From:          Jason Edgecombe <jedgecombe AT carolina.rr DOT com>

> I noticed that the amanda server uses udp port 993 as the src. so the
> first part of the amanda network conversation goes like this:
>
> server port 993 -> client port 10080 hi
> server port 993 <- client port 10080 hi back
> server port 993 -> client port 10080 sendsize
> server port 993 -> client port 10080 ack sendsize
>
> Is this correct? does amanda always use port 993 as the source port?

It uses a random privileged (<1024) port.

> I hypothesize that my dumps are only finishing sometimes because port
> 993 is blocked by default. port 993 works work only a few minutes until
> the "allow related" rule timesout.

I understand it you have iptables/netfilter on the server? Then this
might well be the reason. However, then it should also fail during daytime.

--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI!