Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover remotely: TCP/IP connection stalls

2003-07-23 11:25:22
Subject: Re: amrecover remotely: TCP/IP connection stalls
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Andreas Ntaflos <ant AT overclockers DOT at>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:10:12 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 at 2:07pm, Andreas Ntaflos wrote

> Hello list(s),
>
>   First of all, sorry for crossposting but I think this is both a
>   question for -users as well as -hackers. I hope I get some response
>   since I've been through the archives so thoroughly I get a headache
>   only from thinking of them...

Responding to users only -- that's where this belongs.

>   Both hosts run the services needed for backup operations (amindex,
>   amidxtape, amandad, etc, etc). We have set the server up for tapeless

Only the server needs amindexd and amidxtape.  Clients only need amandad.

>   And here it sits forever until it dies. tcpdump shows that backup
>   tries to reach mobilkom and awaits ACK but gets nothing and only
>   retransmits the request packets. mobilkom eventually ACKs something,
>   but definately nothing concerning the ongoing connection. I will attach
>   the log output of tcpdump, starting at the moment amrecover started on
>   mobilkom.
>
>   The point is that we need amrecover working, or else the system would
>   never be able to restore 300GB worth of user data in the event of any
>   kind of emergancy, since extracting the files on backup itself and
>   then transferring them to mobilkom is not an option.

In a pinch, you could always use NFS mounts and run amrecover on backup
but sitting in a directory on mobilkom.

But it should work correctly.  Are there any firewalls in the way?  What
does amidxtaped*debug on the server look like?

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering