Amanda-Users

Re: Skipping Amanda's estimate phase?

2003-07-21 10:09:12
Subject: Re: Skipping Amanda's estimate phase?
From: Gerhard den Hollander <gerhard AT jasongeo DOT com>
To: Sven Rudolph <rudsve AT drewag DOT de>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:06:34 +0200
* Sven Rudolph <rudsve AT drewag DOT de> (Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 03:48:12PM +0200)

>>> Amanda's estimate phase takes here between 3 and 8 hours (with GNU
>>> tar). So I thought about ways of skipping the extra estimate phase.

>> Topic comes up periodically.  There have been mentions of ways to
>> substitute your own estimate technique.  I think they generally
>> involve the "calcsize" command.  Probably making it a wrapper
>> on the client.

> I haven't found many useful info on this.

> <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=amanda-users&m=98888253924842&w=2>
> hardcodes the calcsize calls in sendsize. A bit unflexible.

yes, but it works for me.
I once started work on doing this proper
(use exclusion lists, make it a dumptype option &c &c ...) but it was too
much work

> info on this patch.

> Both messages mention speedup numbers. calcsize is three times faster,
> and it does all levels in one run.

It's 3 times faster *AS* it does all 3 levels (level 0, level incremental,
level incremental+1) in one go.

> find reasons why calcsize isn't used in default amanda. I guess it
> must have a drawback; otherwise it would be amanda's default method.
> It sounds like calcsize is basically unmaintained code.

> What are the current advantages and disadvantages of calcsize?

Since I tried to do it properly (2 years ago ?) I don;t think anyone has
ever worked on it.

The biggest issue is that the estimates from calcsize do not match the real
estimates for incremental dumps . People who tested this mentioned upto 5%
difference in size.

In my case 5% is about the same differnece I get anyway, given the time
difference between the estimate and the actual dump, and the fact that lots
of data is generated overnight.

Currently listening to: the radio

        Gerhard,  (faliquid AT xs4all DOT nl)   == The Acoustic Motorbiker ==
--
   __O  But as it did, the heavens opened
 =`\<,  And rain began to fall