Amanda-Users

Re: amlabel

2003-07-17 14:49:36
Subject: Re: amlabel
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:45:26 -0400
On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 11:16:12AM -0700, Joseph Andorful wrote:
> I'm trying to run amlabel, but when I type in the
> command, it says amlabel: could not load slot "1":
> chg-multi: slot is empty

You have provided little information which with to assist you.

Here is a suggested approach.  Amanda is set up in layers,
going from a simpler, single task program to more complex,
multi-task programs.  These programs may be from amanda or
from the system.  Each may use one or more configuration files.

For example, in my amanda setup some of the layers might include:

     Command        Purpose             Config File

     mt or ammt     manipulate tape     none or amanda.conf for tape dev
     mtx            manipulate changer  none
     chg-mtx        interface to mtx    amanda.conf and changer.conf
     amtape         interface to mt/mtx amanda.conf and changer.conf
     amdump, amrestore, amrecover, amcheck,
     amlabel, ...   various tasks       all the above and more

You have in your config a similar stack but with chg-multi and ???
But I suspect you have not tested and debugged all the layers leading
up to the amlabel/amdump layer.  To simplify your debugging you should
test and exercise all the lower layer commands before tackling the more
complex commands.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)