Amanda-Users

amanda + gzip errors on debian?

2003-07-15 11:11:41
Subject: amanda + gzip errors on debian?
From: "Kurt Yoder" <kyoder AT shcorp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:07:54 -0400 (EDT)
Hello list

I've been having a problem with amanda and gzip on my debian backup
servers for a while now. I do my backups with gzip compression, and
they seem to go fine. However, upon verifying the backups, I notice
gzip errors. I get two different kinds of errors: "crc" errors and
"format violated" errors. The errors don't happen on all dump
images, usually just the bigger ones (which means level 0's, which
means I'm screwed for restores!). I've had them crop up from 300 MB
into the image to 10 GB into it, and anywhere in between. At least
one gzipped image fails on every backup.

I installed a second Debian backup server, and it had the exact same
problem right after installation. I re-did my backup server on a
different hard disk, and still had the problem. I had been using a
security-updated gzip, so I tried the pre-security gzip, but had the
same problem.

I tried manually gzipping and unzipping images on the backup server
without using amanda at all, and had the same problem. "Aha!" you
say, it must not be amanda then. Well... maybe. I tried a fresh
debian install with just the base system on it which includes gzip.
I created a 20 GB tar file, gzipped and gunzipped it, and had no
errors. The only link between all these boxes with gzip problems is
that the Debian amanda-server package was installed.

Anyone else noticed this problem? And fixed it?

--
Kurt Yoder
Sport & Health network administrator